Sunday, July 24, 2016

Post-PAO (2-6 days)

Woke up on Thursday feeling great.  Dr. JS checked up on me in the morning.  He said that everything look great and that I could go home if the Physical Therapist 'passed' me.  At my 8:30am PT session - I walked with the walker to the stairs, went up and down them (while sitting and scooting myself up and down them). I did experience some pain in my inner hip while standing.  So, the Physical Therapist stated that I should rest and she would contact Dr. JS for peace of mind.  At my 1:30pm PT session, the Physical Therapist stated that the pain I was experiencing was normal and that I needed to keep moving it and it would eventually subside. During the afternoon PT session, we stimulated getting into a vehicle and getting out. I passed everything, so I was given the OK to be released.

I was released at about 5:30pm.  My husband and kids came to pick me up. I was able to scoot myself into the van and we were on our way.  Since it was rush hour, my husband took the side roads home. I felt a bit nauseous and dosed off a few times before getting home.  Once we got home, I had tackle the stairs to get into our apartment.  My husband was a huge help and we made it in! I was very tired at this point, but also felt really gross and wanted to take a shower.  So, my stubborn self took a shower.  I washed my hair and blow-dried it. I felt so much better!!! Went to sleep after and woke up almost every 2-3 hours.  

Woke up feeling pretty good.  Got up and ready right away in the morning as my kids started their in-home therapy at 8:30am.  My husband brought up a swivel computer chair to assist, in case I couldn't stand for long periods of time. I tried to balance walking, sitting and laying down throughout the day.  I took about two naps as well. I started weening myself off the pain pills today by cutting the dose in half.  I haven't felt too much more discomfort by doing so. I've been struggling trying to get into our bathroom.  It's pretty small, so I don't have much room to maneuver and have to swivel my right foot to get me over to the toilet.  Talking about the itoilet (another possible TMI) - I've been quite constipated.  Haven't been able to "go" since last Sunday (7.17.16).  Have been taking Senna since 7.20.16, Miralax once on 7.20.16, then 2 pills of Duralax today - and still nothing.
Been able to do my Physical Therapy at home! Everything is going great so far with that!

Still balancing walking, laying down and sitting. Having some pain, but it's manageable. Also, still very constipated - my husband picked up an Enema for me to take.  Totally TMI, so google it if you want more info. It helped me a bit, but still have stomach pain and still very much constipated.  Took another Duralax before going to bed. I am going to give it another day or two and may need to contact the doctor to see if there is anything else I can do. 

Did not sleep well last night, was up every hour (if not more).  Still constipated at this point, but enough about that at this point. 
Having more pain in my hip, thinking it may have to do with me moving more.  I've been icing it every few hours to reduce the pain and swelling - and that has been helping.  I have a bandage over my incision, so I can't actually see the incision, but it's starting to itch! Good sign, I guess, it's healing!


  1. Hi, my name is Maria Valentina and I have foot drop. My story is similar to yours. Even though we have a limiting condition, we break the barriers and overcome the obstacles that lay before us.

    I want to introduce you to the Women with Foot Drop Movement. We would like to serve as inspiration to all the people with Foot Drop around the world, to help them build up their self-confidence and join our voices in a message of strength.

    Here we offer valuable information to improve our quality of life. Become a part of our community.
    Follow me on Facebook. Just click on this link and you will enter my page: and Instagram @Womenwithfootdrop