Friday, May 24, 2013

Week 8 and Pain Clinic Appointments



Week 8 Follow-up:
Yesterday was my Eight Week Follow-up with Dr. JS and his nurse.  I had X-rays taken immediately when I arrived and then was taken into his office.  We reviewed the X-rays and his was really happy with the placement.  He said it looked like everything had stayed in place and the bones were healing wonderfully!  I was so happy to hear some great news!!!  I also was able to take off my Compression Stockings, finally!  I hated them even though I just had to wear them during the day. 

Dr. JS told me that he looked through all the literature for the PAO surgery and he didn't find anywhere that anyone has ever developed CRPS after surgery.  He asked if I would mind being part of the research and I, of course, agreed.  My case included most of the rare risks (nerve damage, drop foot, CRPS) but, there is a risk having any surgery.  You just always have to hope the risks don't happen to you!  I've been trying really hard to stay positive through all of this, which honestly hasn't been easy at all!  I am so thankful to have such a great support system!  Dr. JS nurse has gotten and responded to all my crazy emails/phone calls, with compassion and "want" to help.  My husband has been at my side through all my dark moments of extreme pain and he has kept me level headed.  He has taken over most of my daily duties and our boys.  I really couldn't ask for a better husband!  My family and my friends, who have helped with a few meals or a drive to and/or from the doctor.  I thank everyone who has helped me get through all of this.  I just want everyone to know even though I still have a long road ahead.

Dr. JS will have me continue Physical Therapy for at least another 6-8 weeks , 3 days a week, to work on my Drop Foot and Hip.  My foot is still very week, so we need to continue to strengthen it.  Then, we can discuss when I can start driving again!   

All in all, I had a great appointment and couldn't be happier!  :-)

---------------------------------------------------------

Pain Clinic Appointment:
Today, I had my 2nd - Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block.  I got to speak with Dr. NP before my injection to ask him a few questions and he wanted to know how I was feeling compared to last week.  I told him that Desensitization has decreased and I've been able to handle warm/cold wash cloths on my foot, cotton ball rubbing it, putting a sock on, etc.  I told him that my pain was still extreme, especially at night.  He decided that he was going to wean me off of Gabapentin and start me on a new nerve pill.  I can't remember what it's called at the moment, but I will update when I do.  We are also going to try some patches for my foot instead of the Lidocaine Cream he gave me (which didn't seem to work).  

After we went over all the questions, I was wheeled into the OR.  put on the operating table, face down, and was prepped for the injection.  Dr. NP came in and had a Resident observe him to learn.  The injection still hurt,  but not as bad as last week.  It only lasts about 5 - 10 minutes and it's done.  I felt the effects of the injection this time more than last.  It took away a lot of the pain, woohoo!  I am just really hoping it stays that way.  I am still having some pain, on a scale 1 - 10, I am at a 4.  I am crossing my fingers for continued pain relief!  

No comments:

Post a Comment