Tuesday, April 1, 2014

CRPS Diagnosis and Summary

My story started when I was diagnosed with Bilateral Congenital Hip Dysplasia that required a hip reconstruction surgery (Periacetabular Osteotomy - PAO), which resulted in CRPS and Drop Foot.  The first sign of CRPS was ten days after surgery, when I woke up in the middle of the night to the feeling of my right foot being on fire.  As the days went on the symptoms I was experiencing increased and became intensified:  My foot felt like lightning bolts were hitting it, someone was stabbing it, it was getting poked with a thousand needles, it was getting strangled, like I was walking on hot coals, etc.  I would also be in excruciating pain if someone would simply brush their hand across my foot, a slight breeze would hit it, putting on/taking off my socks or hot/cold water touching it.  I started to struggle with day-to-day activities such as: sitting, standing, walking, etc.  I couldn't even sleep in my bed anymore because it hurt to lay down.  EVERYTHING hurt at that moment!  Overall, the pain just kept getting worse and I was barely getting any sleep.  I needed to find some answers and relief for the extreme amount of pain I was experiencing!  Finally, my surgeon and his nurse referred me to: Advanced Pain Management (APM) - MCW Wauwatosa location to see Dr. Nileshkumar Patel.

My first impression of Dr. Patel was that he was very knowledgable and funny, especially since I was so down the first time he met me.  He cheered me up and made me laugh!  He did my initial exam and noticed that my right leg would turn a blue/purplish color when I stood.  He actually had a Resident come in to look at my leg as a learning tool.  After the exam he diagnosed me with "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome" - CRPS, which is a serious malfunction of the nervous system.  I never heard of CRPS before my first visit with Dr. Patel, so I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.  But, I trusted him!  He stated that day, that CRPS is more likely to go into remission if treated early, so he recommend that I get a Sympathetic Nerve Block Injection immediately.  APM and Dr. Patel were able to squeeze me in and give me the first of several injections.  Sedation is optional, but I never got it with all of the Nerve Blocks that I received, as I figured the pain in my foot was probably worse than the pain of the injections.  You basically feel pressure while getting the injection, but it only lasts a minute or so and quickly goes away when the injection is finished.  Kari (APM Nurse) has held my hand for every injection I've received and has made getting the injections a more positive experience.  After each injection, my right foot feels warm for several hours.  During my first appointment, Dr. Patel stated that the warmth was a good sign that the blood vessels were opening up.  I now look forward to the warmth, as my right foot is usually colder than my left since getting CRPS.

It took several injections until I started to finally get some relief from the pain.  The first 2 injections didn't do anything, or so I thought.  But, as I got the 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on and so forth, I started to finally experience relief.  I was able to play with my kids again, I could sleep, take hot/cold showers, putting on/taking off socks (without flinching), etc.  I felt like I was getting my life back again!  The CRPS pain was so bad for a while there that I didn't know how I was going to be able to live my life.  Many people that suffer from CRPS are addicted to pain medications.  I am very proud to say that Dr. Patel respected my wishes to not use any pain medication.  I wanted to fight this battle without it, and I have.  At first, I thought it was something that didn't need to be said in my blog, but the more I hear about people that suffer from CRPS, the more I hear about the many pain medications they're taking.  I want those people to know that I changed my state of mind, and they can too! I knew I would get better with the nerve block injections, physical therapy and positive attitude!  I thank Dr. Patel everyday for giving me my life back.  It means everything to me, especially with two toddlers at home!  Thank you, Dr. Patel, for believing in me all along.  You truly are an inspiration and are making a huge difference in this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment