Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making Progress



DAY 11 (Monday 4/8/13):
Today, while standing for longer than 30 seconds to 1 minute, My leg starts to feel like it is waking up.  Now the best way to explain this is, if you are sitting on your leg/foot and it falls asleep, then move it to get the blood flow back, it hurts like hell (excuse my language).  That is what I feel while standing, down my entire right leg.  Then as soon as I sit/lie back down, my leg/foot just goes numb again.  

During Physical Therapy (PT) I wanted to attempt to do the stairs.  We decided that scooting up the stairs on my butt would probably be the safest route.  The physical therapist (Julie) was having me hold onto both of the railings (on each side of the stairs) to bring myself down to sit.  I felt like I was going down too hard because of the position she had me doing it. Once I was seated, Julie had me put my left leg on the step below me to help push myself to the third step.  I couldn't even push myself up one step.  I was too nervous that I was going to push using my newly reconstructed leg.  I started crying because the stairs are the only thing holding me back to be home with my boys.  She reassured me that it will come in time with a little practice and that we can work on it again in the afternoon.  She had me stand back up and we just practiced walking with the walker instead.  To wrap it up, we did a little strength training to help build my muscle. 

Later in the day I had my second PT session.  Right away we tackled the stairs again.  I sat down on the second step but, this time I did it my way.  I used only one railing, held on and slowly sat down.  I felt like I had a lot more control going down as opposed to her way.  Julie agreed that it was probably safer for me too.  I started to put my left leg back up on the step and push myself up to the next step.  But, because my right leg is still numb it is a lot of dead weight and kept getting stuck on the step.  So, my therapist put a towel under it, used it like a sling and held it up while I pushed myself up the stairs.  I actually made it the entire flight!  She had me try to stand at the top of the stairs but I was struggling.  She brought in another person and a chair for the top of the stairs for me to sit down (the purpose of the chair is that I can lift my feet to the floor and pivot in the direction I want to walk).  I definitely needed assistance to stand and then sit.  I was so excited that I actually made it up, with help, but I made it!  I needed help again to sit back down on the step and then to sling up my right leg to get down.  It was a lot easier to go down, but still a little difficult.  Again, I needed assistance to stand at the bottom of the stairs.  When we finished, I did the 'happy dance' in my wheelchair because it was a big accomplishment for me!


DAY 12 (Tuesday 4/9/13):
Today, I still woke up to a numb leg.  I pray every night (and during the day) that it'll wake up, but it's been stubborn, just like me!  

I had OT right away this morning.  Again, they didn't do too much, but watch how I walk and dress myself.  They just want to make sure that I am doing everything the correct way so I don't mess up my newly reconstructed leg.

After breakfast I had PT.  Instead of doing the stairs this morning Julie decided that we should work on strength training.  We really worked a lot of my leg muscles!  She even added some weights to add resistance.  During my second PT session, we started out with some more strength training.  She then did about ten minutes of electric shock therapy.  We finished off the session by tackling the stairs.  I was able to sit down on the step far more easily than yesterday.  Julie held onto my belt, but more to make sure that I didn't fall down.  I then scooted up the stairs fairly fast.  I wore pants today instead of capris, hoping that it would help slide my right leg up the stairs more easily (and without having to sling it up with someone else's assistance).  Even though it was easier today, I felt more pain in my pelvic area than I did yesterday.  I got to the top of the stairs, was able to stand on my own and sit in the chair.  I then was able to sit on the step and scoot myself down on my own.  When I got to the bottom I was able to stand on my own again.  It felt really good not needing as much assistance as I needed yesterday!   

DAY 13 (Wednesday 4/10/13):
Today OT had me work on getting in and out of the bathtub/shower with a transfer chair.  I did it really well and felt like it was a piece of cake!  I can't wait until I can actually take a real shower.  I've been taking a sponge bath everyday now for almost two weeks and it has been driving me nuts.   I just don't feel clean, clean!  But, I will have to wait until my dressing is removed and my incision is healed.

After OT, I immediately had PT.  Julie did about ten minutes of electric shock therapy.  We then did a few strength training exercises and finished off walking with walker.

In the afternoon PT session, we started off doing the stairs again.  I was able to go up and down them even easier than yesterday and with less assistance.  After the stairs we did some exercises while laying in a bed.  I still am unable to scissor out/in my right leg.   But, she helped me do the motion while I tried to do it.  She stated that by trying to do the motion will help wake my muscles back up.  Near the end of the strength training, I had my knee up (while I was laying down) and was able to squeeze my knee inwards.  I woke up one of my muscles today, woohoo!!!!  Then, we practiced walking with the walker again.

I also spoke with Julie today to see if I could go home.  She then brought in another lady (in charge of discharging patients) and we decided that Saturday would be best!  They felt like I will be ready to go home by then because of how well I am doing.  Even though I will be ready to go home, they feel like I will still need at-home therapy.  So, they are going to look into that for me and try to get it approved through insurance.  I can't wait to go home to my boys!  

No comments:

Post a Comment