Saturday, April 6, 2013

Post-Surgery



It's been one week & one day since I had the PAO surgery on my right hip.  Sorry that I was unable to update sooner, but I will give an overview of my past week.




DAY 1  -  SURGERY DAY (Good Friday):
I woke up on surgery day pretty calm and ready to go.  I was surprised how calm I was, it didn't feel like I was having a major surgery in just a couple hours!  I showered right away and then had to use sterilizing cloths to wipe down my entire front and back of my right leg (I had to sterilize the leg the night before as well).  My husband gathered my bags and we were off to hospital!  When we arrived (about 6:45am) I had to check-in, and waited about 10 minutes to be taken back.  They took me to a small "prep room" where they changed me into a gown, put on my compression stockings and started my IV (the first of three while I was at the hospital).  I was asked several questions over and over and over (and over, ha) which was partially annoying, but I know they just making sure that they didn't make any mistakes.  My husband and I said a nice little prayer before I was taken into surgery at 8:15am.  It was really nice to have a moment to pray to God to take care of me during surgery if that was in his will.  They injected something into my IV that made me a tad loopy, I kissed my husband goodbye and they wheeled me into the operating room.  They said that I wouldn't remember any of that, but I do.  They put the gas mask over my mouth and I was out cold!  They checked-in with my husband about two after they started and let him know that everything was going wonderful!  And at about noon, Dr. JS came out to my husband and stated that everything went awesome!  He stated that the new placement was great especially with how severe my Hip Dysplasia was.  He also didn't have to use a plate, which I am honestly really happy about!  So, there are just the three screws holding my pelvic bone in place, and the bones will hopefully fuse back together.  When I woke up I was in the recovery room, but kept falling in and out of sleep.  I wasn't in too much pain and I felt fairly good after surgery, just very drowsy!  In the recovery room they put my leg in a machine that moved it up and down (bent knee up then moved leg straight).  While they wheeled me from the recovery room to my room, I got really nauseous.  But, it was really nice to see my husband waiting for me when I arrived.  They injected something into my IV to relieve some of the nausea that I was experiencing.  In the afternoon, I was able to keep my eyes open more and have several conversations.  Dr. JS came to check in on how I was doing and checked my reflexes.  At that time, I noticed that my foot and lower part of my leg fell asleep and never woke up after surgery.  Basically, it was completely numb and I could barely wiggle my toes.   

DAY 2 (Saturday 03/29/13):
I woke up on Saturday still feeling really good.  I was really surprised how good I felt and how alert I was considering they gave me pain medication every few hours.  I was also still in the leg machine until Dr. JS came to check on me.  He felt it wasn't doing exactly what he wanted as my leg just kept sliding in it rather then getting the motion of up and down.  He removed the machine and then wanted to check everything out.  He had me try to pull my foot towards me, move it side to side, and try to lift it, but I was unable to do all of the above except wiggling my toes.  My leg was still asleep at this point, but I still had hope it would wake up soon.  Also, Dr. JS had high hopes that I could possibly go home on Sunday or Monday, I was so excited!  Physical Therapy (PT) came in during the late morning and had me sit on the side of the bed.  Unfortunately, that was all I could do.  I got really nauseated and had to lie back down.  Since it was my first time sitting up since surgery, they stated that my blood pressure probably dropped so they said they would return in a couple hours.  When they came back they sat me up again and then had me try to stand for the first time.  I did it, but started to feel nauseated again.   I also felt really un-easy standing since my foot was numb, so I couldn't tell how much weight I was putting on my leg.  And since I am restricted to "no weight bearing/toe touch weight bearing" -  it made it very difficult.  All they made me do was stand and try to lift my foot and leg, which I couldn't.  They taught me a few leg exercises to do in bed, to start building my strength.  I really couldn't do them, since my leg was numb, but they told me to at least try.  Occupational Therapy (OT) also came in and gave me a exercise stretching band to work on my arm muscles.  They also gave me some other nifty tools for everyday function (a sock aid, clothes stick, invisible dog leash to move my leg, and a grabber).  These tools have been so helpful!   

DAY 3 (Easter Sunday 03/30/13):
Oh my goodness, Day 3! Day 3 I woke up so sick!  I threw up in the middle of the night and just couldn't get rid of the nausea!  I felt like I had a really bad case of the flu.  My leg/foot still didn't wake up today either.  And, again when PT came in, I couldn't even move my right leg when I was standing with the walker.  They just told me to continue to try to do the leg exercises they taught me yesterday.   Dr. JS came to check on me, and took off my compression stocking on my right leg in hopes that it would help the nerves to wake up.  The nurses also had to put me back on IV fluids because they thought I was dehydrated.

DAY 4 (Monday 4/1/13):
They stopped my nerve pill and pain pills in the middle of the night because I was so sick, even threw up!   I couldn't even think about trying to take them.  Since, prior to this surgery I have never taken anything other than the occasional Tylenol or Ibuprofen, they said that my body was just having a reaction to the narcotics (pain pills).  Dr. JS came in to follow up and told me that he would change me to a pain pill that would be less harsh.  I didn't actually take any pain meds throughout the day because I felt so crummy.  I really wasn't in pain though, just really nauseated and had flu-like symptoms and no appetite.  Dr. JS also ordered a CAT Scan to check out my right leg.  He wanted to make sure that no nerves were growing inside the bone since my leg and foot still had not woken up.  They were supposed to do it same day, but they didn't actually ever show up to do it.  

DAY 5 (Tuesday 4/2/13)
I woke up and could only eat some yogurt, yet again I didn't have an appetite. They tried giving me some Tylenol at about 6:00am, but I just couldn't take it as I still felt a little nauseated.  It sat there until about 9:00am, and I finally forced myself to take it since OT/PT was coming shortly.  And, again I was unable to do much but stand and then pivot to the commode.  By the lunch hour, I started to get my appetite back and felt a lot better!  I couldn't believe it, but I actually ate my entire lunch!  After lunch they took me off the IV Fluids and took me down for my CAT Scan.  Dr. JS came up by me a few hours later to let me know that everything looked wonderful and it was just going to be a matter of time until the nerves woke up.

DAY 6 (Wednesday 4/3/13):
I woke up feeling really good!  The nurse told me that I was going to be released today.  Unfortunately, because my leg/foot was still numb, I was not going to be able to go home due to living on the second floor with no elevator.  So, I was admitted into a Rehab Clinic in Brookfield.  They had a wheelchair accessible van pick me up to take me to the rehab clinic.  I was nervous to go because I heard horror stories about these after care places.   But, I was pleasantly surprised!  It was very clean and the staff was extremely nice.  My Mom came in the evening and helped me unpack my belongings.  It felt really good to have everything put away and not just thrown around.  

DAY 7 (Thursday 4/4/13):
They did an OT and PT session with me where they assessed me to see where I was at and what my estimated time in the clinic would be.  I was only able to walk about 5 feet but that was huge for me!  They estimated me being here for about three weeks - OMG - I really hope not!   I heard that and have been pushing ever since to get out of here.  During my second PT sessions they had me walk again with the walker.  She had to push my right leg though as I still couldn't raise it off the floor, but I was able to walk about 20 feet that time.  They then tried electric shock therapy in hopes that it would wake up my nerves.

DAY 8 (Friday 4/5/13):
They woke me up to do OT and taught me to stand in front of the sink to brush my teeth and wash my face.  I felt really good that I could stand there!  Then they took me down to PT after breakfast and I was able to walk about 30 feet.  During the afternoon PT session I learned to go on my left tippy toe and kind of swing my right hip forward.  That way I did have to have anyone push my foot along.  They also tried the electric shock therapy again.

DAY 9 (Saturday 4/6/13):
They woke me up again today to do OT.   She didn't actually teach me anything today, just kind of watched me.  But, she felt like I was really independent and stated that if I got practice doing stairs, then I could probably be released sooner, but that is up PT.  When PT came after breakfast, I asked to do the stairs.  She stated that she wanted me to walk more before doing the stairs to build my arm muscles.  So, I made it about 60 feet straight today!  That's double from yesterday!  I feel like progress is being made!  And even though I still can't feel my leg/foot, I feel as though I will definitely not be here three weeks!  I just hope that my leg wakes up soon!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sarah, Oh my! I had I idea you were going through all this! Our prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery, so you can get back to your cute little family. Our best to you, sweet Sarah! Jean & Greg Kilby

    ReplyDelete