Tuesday, April 30, 2013

One Month After Surgery



I've really fallen behind on this blog!  I got distracted with life - my husband, kids, visitors, chores, etc.  Anyways, I am doing very well in my recovery!  My hip has little to no pain!  Ice seems to really  do the trick if I start having some discomfort. 


NERVE ISSUE:
I regained feeling in my right leg on Saturday, April 20th! It was a wonderful day, I was so happy!  BUT . . . my foot was still asleep.  The next day my right foot started to wake up, but never actually does.  So, since then I've really been struggling!  It feels like lightning bolts are hitting it, someone is stabbing it, I'm getting poked with a thousand needles, it's get strangled, etc.  It's the worst feeling in the world, even worse than childbirth, because it seems as though there is no end to it!  I emailed Dr. JS's nurse to let her know what is going on and also told her that the new pain pill (Vicodin) that they prescribed last week was not mixing well with me.  It gave me severe mood changes and just didn't work for me.  On Tuesday, they prescribed me Percocet.  That worked almost instantly to relieve the pain in my foot!  I was able to get a full six hours of sleep that night and it was just wonderful!  The only downfall to Percocet was that it gave me nausea.  But, it seemed to help if I ate something before taking it.  By the weekend, (4/27 - 4/28/13), the Percocet was no longer relieving the pain in my foot.  At least with my leg, I could sit and be pain-free.  My foot just keeps hurting - 24/7!  I called Dr. JS nurse on Saturday hoping that she would check her voicemail over the weekend, and let her know how much pain my foot was in.  I also told her that my hip pain is very minimal!  If I didn't have these nerve issues, I would be doing really well right about now!  I also called the On-Call Orthopedic Doctor/Nurse and they told me that I would have to come to the ER to be evaluated to get put on any other medications.  I really didn't want to do that, so I tough'd it out!  Yesterday (Monday morning) around 3:00am, I emailed Dr. JS's nurse and told her how much pain I was in.  I really could not stand it anymore!  I received a message back in the early morning and ultimately they decided to take me off the Percocet and increase the mg for the nerve pill (Gabapentin).  Last night, I got about 2 hours of sleep at a time!  Then would be up for about 1 or 2 hours before falling asleep for another 2 hours.  I really don't know what to do about this nerve pain!  We've tried massage, pills and physical therapy 5 days a week!  I just want it to wake up!  I need my life back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment