Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 3

DAY 14 (Thursday 4/11/13):
Last night I was not able to sleep well, I was very uncomfortable most of the night.  It feels like my leg is trying to wake up while I am laying down now as well (not just standing for longer than 30 sec - 1 min).  It just never does actually wake up, so I am having a really hard time because it really hurts.  Around 6am I woke up to use the restroom and still felt tired so I laid back down.  I dosed off and was woken at 8am by the nurse asking if I was coming to breakfast (at 8am)?  I quickly got up and went to the restroom.  When I stood, I realized that somewhere between 6am and 8am my incision decided it was going to bulge out and become really hard to the touch.  It wasn't my whole incision, just about 3 inches or so.  I alerted the nurse and she then examined it.  She didn't feel as though it was too big of a concern because it wasn't on fire (hot), no drainage, I wasn't running a fever, etc.  To be on the safe she brought in her supervisor (head nurse) and called Dr. JS to see if he had any concerns.  

I had PT right away in the morning again, we worked on the stairs.  I needed to figure out how to go up the stairs without a railing, since the three stairs outside of my apartment building does not have one.  I mainly use the railing at the top and bottom to get myself up.  We used a wooden step that I boosted myself up to, and then I boosted myself up to a folding chair.  It worked out great!  Only problem was that I couldn't buy the step from them, darn!  Julie (the PT) and I then brainstormed what I could do at home.  I couldn't just use a step stool as I needed it wide enough to get my hands on it to boost me up on it and then to the chair.  She said she had a foam workout step at home and that I could possibly use it.  I told her that if that didn't work, then my husband could build something to the dimensions that I needed.

Carey (with OT) worked with me on sitting in a chair and then standing.  I basically have been doing this since I had the surgery, so I didn't need any practice.  I just whipped down and back up.  We went back to room and tried to think of anything that I might struggle with when I got back home.   I thought a bit and then remembered that I probably wouldn't be able to bring the walker into the bathroom with me as it's a small.  We decided that I could probably walk into the bathroom with the walker, pivot to the toilet and the pivot to a chair in front of the sink.  We tried to think of anything else that I might struggle with when I returned home, but couldn't think of anything.  


DAY 15 (Friday 4/12/13):
Again, last night I could not sleep well at all.  It still feels like my leg is trying to wake up while I am laying down.  The pain of my leg waking up is what is keeping me awake at night.  

My actual hip pain is very minimal.  Sometimes it hurts a little more, especially after PT, but ice usually helps relieve the pain.  I am just really struggling with the pain of my leg "waking up" . . . but, never actually waking up.

Carey (OT) worked with me this morning on standing up from my bed if it's really low to the ground.  I did it, easy breezy!  It probably helped that it was the morning though and I was ready for the day!   When I tried it later in the day on my own it was more difficult. But, practice makes perfect!

Julie (PT) had me work on walking with my new walker that I was going to be taking home.  That way I could get the feel of it and be comfortable with it at home.  We also did some more strength training.  We're still trying to lift my right foot up towards me.  But, I am still only able to wiggle my toes.  It's so frustrating trying to just move your foot and you're unable to.  In the afternoon, we attempted the stairs one last time.  I did it fairly easy, but still can only do it on my butt.  We went back to the PT gym and tried hopping over a half step as that is how I will need to get in the front door.  I was surprised how well I did it!  We finished off going over last minute things that I will need for the house.  Unfortunately, the items I ordered didn't get delivered because my doctor never sign the script for it.   So, I will be following up on Monday with the company that supplies the items.  Otherwise, I have a doctor appointment with Dr. JS on Monday and I can get it from him directly.  At least everything I really needed can wait since it's mainly shower items.


DAY 16 (Saturday 4/13/13):
GOING HOME!!!!
It's been a long couple of weeks, but I feel like I've made a lot of progress.  They told me that I'd be here 3 weeks and I cut it in half!  But, I know that it was my determination and mindset that made it possible.  I really am going to miss the nurses and other residents here at Fransiscan Woods though.  I really got close with a lot of the good people here!  I said my goodbye's and they all told me how much they were going to miss me!   Everyone here has really prepared me to go home!  I appreciate all their hard work and determination to make me feel as prepared as possible.  

Mike (my husband) arrived just after 10am to pick me up.  We pack up the car, I signed the discharge papers and we were set to go.  I wheeled in the wheelchair up to the car door, stood up and got right in the car.  My husband about fell over with how easy I was able to do it.  He was still thinking I could barely stand on my own, as that was how I was in the hospital.  When he did come visit me while I was at Fransiscan Woods I mainly stayed in my wheelchair or the bed, so he didn't really get to see the progress I made.  It was so weird pulling up to our apartment with no snow on the ground!  The weather really changed in 2.5 weeks that I was gone.  I got myself out of the car and walked with the walker to the first set of steps.  I then sat on the new step my husband made me on the landing so I could scoot up to the chair to stand up.  I then hopped into the front door.  I scooted up the stairs and then my husband brought his homemade step up so I could scoot up to the chair to stand.  My husband was impressed once again!  I am so happy that Julie (PT) really worked with me so I was prepared for everything!

I quickly realized it is a huge transition being home!  My Mom borrowed us a recliner for my recovery, but I discovered that it wasn't going to work for me.  It's not your typical recliner, as it's like a zero gravity one.  To use the recliner feature, you really need the ability to use both feet to lift it, which I obviously can't.  I am also having a hard time not only getting up from my Mom's recliner, but also our couch.  So, we're going to have to either ask around if we can borrow something or we'll need to buy something that I can get up from more easily.

Our bathroom is pretty small, so I have to pivot on my left foot from the doorway to the toilet.  To use the sink, I have to sit on the toilet as I can't get the walker through the bathroom to the sink.  

I have been dealt a lot of obstacles being home, but I am so happy that I am with my boys!  And, I know that in time it will be easier and I will find better ways of doing things. 


DAY 15 (Sunday 4/14/13):
Today was still another day of transitioning and trying to figure out the best way of getting around.  My leg is still numb and still really hurts when standing longer than a minute, so my husband brought up a office chair with wheels for me to use.  I keep getting stuck on all of our area rugs, but I've been making it work.  


DAY 16 (Monday 4/15/13):
I had a doctor appointment to see Dr. JS this morning.  He removed my dressing and said everything looked good.  He showed me my x-rays and 3D CAT scan showing my correction.  It was so cool to see it!!!!   I can't wait to get a copy to show people, or to just keep checking it myself.  I thought he told me in previous appointments that I was ONE of the worst cases of Hip Dysplasia he's seen, but he told me today that I AM the worst case he's ever seen.  He asked if I would want to be featured on a website and give my testimonial.  I agreed, of course.  Why wouldn't I?  He really is changing my life for the better!  I can't wait to be able to walk almost pain-free!  

After the doctor appointment, we stopped at a medical supply store for all my goodies, haha!  I needed transfer bench for the shower, along with some grab bars for the shower, a raised toilet seat, and some grab bars that attach to the toilet to make it easier to sit and stand.  I initially tried a raised toilet seat (borrowed from my Mom) that had the bars attached to the seat, but I almost fell every time I stood when I would only hold onto one bar and not both, as the seat would pop out.  I would definitely recommend getting the grab bars that attach to the toilet and that are separate from raised toilet seat.  It's far safer!  


DAY 17 (Tuesday 4/16/13):
I finally got to take a shower today!  Woohoooooo!!!  I couldn't stand just taking a sponge bath anymore.  

Home Health Physical Therapy came today.  She pretty much just had me sign a bunch of paperwork and just assessed where I was at with my progress.  She will be coming 5 days a week to work on strength training and some stretching.  Although, Dr. JS stated to not do too much with the range of motion (stretching) as it could do more damage than good.  



No comments:

Post a Comment